11.14.2014

Food: Leek, Carrot & Potato Soup



By request, the recipe for last night's dinner.  Like a good soup, the recipe is a mishmash of several different versions from different sources I've made over the years.   It scales up and down nicely, and you can do whatever you like with the seasoning, I like to use fresh herbs when I have them but whatever you have lying around is fine.


leeks, several bunches
carrots, one bunch
potatoes, two or three, for this soup I like russets.
chicken stock to fill pot about halfway.
butter (or olive oil)
salt & pepper to taste
other herbs & seasonings as you see fit


chop off the white & light green end of the leeks.
Rinse leaves & chop roughly, combine in pot with chicken stock and bring to a simmer.
Peel & chop potatoes, chop carrots, clean and slice leeks.
Melt 2-3 TBS butter or olive oil in large skillet, add leeks & carrots, sweat over medium heat.
When the leeks & carrots are ready, scoop the leek leaves out of the stock & dump in all the vegetables.  Bring to a gentle boil, then reduce to a low simmer for 45-60 minutes.
Season to taste- I like sage & smoked paprika along with the salt & pepper.
I use my trusty immersion blender to puree everything in the pot, you can also do it in batches in a food processor or blender, or just serve it as-is.

Voila, cold weather dining at its finest.

No comments: