7.13.2013

My New Hero: Fridtjof Nansen

Came across a book I'd never seen this morning, The Saga of Fridtjof Nansen by Jon Sorensen, with a subtitle so grandiose (Scientist, Artist, Explorer, Author, Statesman, Humanitarian, Sportsman) it drove me irresistibly to the internet for a bit of searching.  Working in a bookstore doesn't necessarily confer wisdom but does reliably provide shallow awareness across a vast range of disparate topics. The fact that I'd never heard even a whisper of this paragon of Nordic virtue kindled my innate curiosity.

A quick trip to Google and voila, meet my new hero Fridtjof Nansen, who was if anything more protean & majestic than proclaimed by the cover of his biography.
Fridtjof Nansen, Nordic Superman


 One of his less recognized skills was maintaining a single expression of piercing, steely resolve throughout his entire life.

Witness:

Fridtjof Nansen, Four Years Old



Fridtjof Nansen, Twenty Eight Years Old


Fridtjof Nansen, Old Man


He won the Nobel Peace Prize in 1922, and the League of Nations organization he founded to aid refugees won the same prize in 1938, eight years after his death.

New life goal is to have my posthumous Wikipedia entry echo his 'Occupation':

Scientist, explorer, humanitarian.

No comments: