11.12.2011

True Customer Tales: Internet Derangement Syndrome

Today is running hot and cold- several buys of pretty good stuff where the people were happy with my offer and donated the stuff I didn't want, several of the BUT THE INTERNET SAYS variety, culminating in this exchange with a weathered, high strung, twitchy fellow with a small stack of Easton Press leatherbound books.

He called this morning and we had one of those what are these worth/bring them in I need to see the book discussions that leave both parties dissatisfied.  I'd love to be able to psychically intuit value based on the vague description of a layman with no real understanding of the book business, but even (or especially?) in our hyperfuturistic, ephemeral Kindlepad world, some stuff you still need to get your hands on to understand.

Cut to ten minutes ago.
The guy shows up with the books. They're super clean, still in the original shrink wrap.
So far, so good...then it all goes south.

He pushes a copy of Gaston Leroux's Phantom of the Opera across the counter.

"What do you think this one's worth?"
"I'd price it $45 or $50."
"This one is worth $350 on the internet!" he exclaimed, taking exception to my estimate.
I push it back across the counter.
"Well, good luck with that then."

I skimmed the others which were far less saleable authors & titles, which thankfully let me reject them with a clear conscience.

He stormed out, shouting something about driving all the way from Paso, and that's why he called.

"Sorry, I'm not psychic."  I lobbed after him.

On a whim I looked up his $350 book.
Perfect copies for $75 as far as the eye can see, meaning the hive-mind finds it overpriced.

So......$50.

No comments: