11.19.2011

cooking: salsa chicken

Without a doubt the simplest recipe I've ever shared, and yet...RIDICULOUSLY DELICIOUS.


For the crock pot, from the indispensable Not Your Mother's Slow Cooker Cookbook (it's Meeks cookbook, a gift from....her mother).

ingredients

chicken
jarred or fresh salsa, 1 1/2 cups
cumin
chili powder
lime juice


dump chicken in crock, dump salsa over chicken, cook HIGH for 3 hours or LOW for 6.
add spices & lime juice in last 15 minutes. The recipe calls for skinless breasts, I bought bone-in thighs and skinned 'em myself- I prefer the taste. For salsa I used Homeboy Salsa Verde, which I snagged on a 'manager's special' markdown for a buck fifty. Good salsa, recommended.

After cooking I pulled out the thighs, shredded the meat by hand and mixed it back into the salsa broth in the crock. It made a more than passable variation of chli verde, served over brown rice with guacamole & crema.

This is how you know I'm a slow learner- it's taken me this long to figure out throwing pretty much any reasonably compatible group of things in a crock pot and letting it go for the day turns out a tasty meal.

No comments: