10.16.2011

bookselling: Short Answer, No

CAN HARPER PERRENIAL REINVENT PUBLISHING!

Pretty breathless headline for a publisher that's just copying the small press playbook in an age where most of the small presses have gone the way of the independent bookstores they used to service.  Pay authors squat, keep print runs small and hope your shotgun approach generates a runaway hit or two.

The idea's as old as publishing itself, the only new wrinkle is it's a major publisher underpaying the writers instead of a small house with limited resources.

“This August, Harper Perennial did an e-book promotion. Twenty books for $20. I loved that… Probably I did not make a lot on royalties with this promotion,” she said, “but I am happy that my book isn’t disappearing.”

I guess some folk are just happy to work for free.

No comments: