4.29.2011

Royal Nuptials Followup

So some enterprising reporter was dispatched to the Bladebone Butchery to determine if Martin's work was up to snuff.

They opted for the chicken...of course.
The butcher sold us one of his chickens for £12 (approximately $19) -- which makes it a relatively expensive chicken. It was definitely worth the cost. We stuffed it with garlic, half a lemon and some sprigs of rosemary, and rubbed butter on the skin so it would crisp up when we roasted it. On the side we had a pile of broad beans sauteed in butter. The bird was lovely, and even after almost two hours in the oven, the white breast meat was still moist.
What kind of nut leaves a chicken in the oven for two hours? I mean unless it's a stewing bird or something. My favorite recipe from Bittman takes about 50 minutes start to finish for a three pounder.

I'm glad they liked the sausauges, but I ask you what's the point of making a special trip to an exotic purveyor like Martin and settling for a chicken and some pork links? He had boar sausage on the board during our visit. Venison. Hare. GAME! You're in England, get some game! Buy in season!

Geez.
It's a bit like someone coming to California specially to review the Mexican food then stopping at Chipotle for a burrito.

2 comments:

Bill E. said...

Driving tourists around SF, I had a couple get *very excited* when they saw there's a Chipotle right by Union Square.

I wanted to stop the regular tour right there and take them to the first random taqueria I could find.

(Context: I occasionally drive tours for this outfit — http://mrtoadstours.com )

baxie said...

Having visited benighted lands with shite mexican food, I'll say that Chipotle makes a perfectly serviceable taco/burrito. If I were in, say, Ohio, hell yes I'd eat there.

But in Cali we have options!