2.07.2009

omnibus update

Apologies to all the folks I'm supposed to do things with/for who have been flaked on the past few weeks. Demands are high and energy is low- I haven't been totally healthy since Christmas. The combined stresses of last year were a heavy load-
I'm like the camel that marched stoically across the desert and collapsed after reaching the relative safety of the oasis, right down to the vile temper and excess of mucus.

The Fuss is a major contributing factor. Indisputably charming and lovely, as well as strong, wise, bold and a snappy dresser, he is also a black hole of need devouring every atom of attention in his vicinity with mathematical efficiency.

The wife relays anecdotal evidence from her Parent Participation class that he's a more difficult prospect than the others of his generation. Wild tales of babies sleeping through the night and chasing it with multi-hour afternoon naps abound. Meanwhile, Fuss thinks himself ill used if he is required to spend more than two hours in a row at rest.
He made a nuisance of himself this week, crawling about stealing the chew toys of his defenseless, non-ambulatory classmates. He sidled up crab-like, wresting the prize from their grip then scampering out of reach, leaving them to wave feeble protest in his wake. In the arms race of the nursery, he totes a water cooled machine gun through a thicket of sharpened sticks.

Tending a baby is difficult but possible. The desire to simultaneously have a life is what catapults us into the mist-tinged realm of fantasy.

I managed to organize my 'office' (a small alcove off the living room), haul the last of the books out of the garage and resume our online business. The Stephanie Meyer 1st previously noted is on ice for now- the buying public is a herd animal, and demand will predictably spike shortly before the second film hits theaters.
The cheapest genuine 1st on Amazon right now is $900, up $300 from my last check.

This is frankly insane, as I can get a 1st of Interview with the Vampire in similar condition for $300, a tremendously significant book that came out in 1976 and whos foil stamped dust jacket practically guarantees problems with condition.

By the time the movie comes out who knows what heights it will have scaled. $1500 seem within reach. Madness!
I have a nice copy of Farewell, My Lovely in DJ, a touchstone of detective fiction by one of the greatest writers the genre ever produced that's 'worth' $2500-3000. For a book published in 1940 with a dust jacket printed on paper only a few steps removed from newsprint.

When the moment is ripe, I'll dump the Meyer book and not look back. I know a bubble when I see one. Semi-literate drivel rarely has staying power.

Part of the office organization involved toting all mom's LP's down to the garage. Meggsie has a turntable, so I turned her loose on them first. I think mom would've enjoyed the strains of Joan Armatrading drifting up from below.

Speaking of her turntable, Megs has an interesting perspective on the musical conundrums of this digital age.
Whatever she loves well enough she buys on vinyl.
Apparently some publishers are savvy enough to include a downloadable digital copy with these artifacts. An elegant solution- digital convenience with the emotional heft of an album. CDs were never satisfying objects- small, hard and awkward, something an engineer would lay in a nest of wire.
Were we to pick up a turntable of our own, I would happily follow her lead.

And note to Meggsie- take good care of your copy of XO. You don't want to have to replace it at those rates.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I bought her that copy of XO for her birthday for 15 bucks! I guess they didn't realize what they had.

baxie said...

PWNT by Simon!

Bill E. said...

I have a worn but readable paperback of The Long Walk by "Richard Bachman." It was in well-read condition when I got it, and but it's been in a ziploc bag for the last 22 years or so.

Worth anything?

Entirely out of curiosity. I don't expect to go digging it out of storage or anything.

baxie said...

it's a paperback original and the print run was miniscule, so I'd guess even in ragged shape you could get 20-30 bucks for it, off the top of my head.

Lemme poke around.


dude I'm a genius- first copy on ABE, in "good" condition (which is basically "trashed, but still in one piece") is $35.

Which is a great price for a beat up pocket book.

Bill E. said...

Huh, better than I thought. But still not worth digging my way to the back of the storage unit. Yet.

Thanks!

Anna said...

from everything my friends tell me, parent/motherhood is all about other people telling you how much more their kids do -- and during the first year it's the constant drumbeat of how well (perfectly, even!) their little one sleeps.

don't believe a word they say.