1.26.2006

what's everyone reading?

I can keep up with the habits of my local 'real' friends, but my internet constituancy can be harder to track. Hopefully you'll sound off in the comments...I'll go first.

the wife's nightstand reading:

The Owl was a Baker's Daughter by Marion Woodman
Oliver Twist by Charles Dickens (I can claim this one too, since I'm reading most of it to her out loud)
The Perricone Promise by Nicholas Perricone
Trapped in the Mirror by Elan Golomb
One Hundred Demons by Lynda Barry

my nightstand reading, with comments:

Vegetarian Cooking for Everyone by Deborah Madison
great cookbook and just as inclusive as the title indicates- vegetarian cooking minus the lectures and hautuer.

Cinderella Man by Michael DeLisa
Teetering on the brink of hagiography, still worth reading for its invocation of an era when boxing was a major player in society.

The Burnt Orange Heresy by Charles Willeford
Noir fiction for growed-ups. Pretty much everything Willeford wrote is the equal of the best of Jim Thompson but he gets none of the ink from the hipster literati. Punks.

Leni Riefenstahl a memoir
about as self-serving as you'd imagine, but her propagandizing for the Nazi was just one facet of a complicated, fascinating life that wouldn't have lasted nearly so long if she'd been indicted for war crimes as she probably should have.

No comments: