4.12.2014

books: Lovecraft's Monsters & Twitter's Eldrich Mysteries

A fine collection of differing takes on H.P. Lovecraft's mythology, and recommended for all fans of such unspeakable extra-natural examinations.  I'm a Twitter fan of John Coulthart, the artist for the evocative cover & interior illustrations, and purveyor of the link which led me to it


One regular comment I see regarding Twitter is some variation on "what is it FOR?  What do I *do* with it?"  There are as many uses as there are users, but the utility for me is discovery.  Twitter supercharges the efficiency of finding stuff you're interested in.

I really like graphic design, but it's not my livelihood and I don't have a lot of time or energy to pursue it...so I follow ten or twelve really smart, talented thinkers on the topic and suddenly I'm both ahead of the curve and 'in the loop'.  I can't sift through everything , but I can sift through what a handful of really savvy professionals think is interesting....which is close enough to be mistaken for the real thing.

It's other unprecedented utility is enabling direct communication between consumers and creators.

Yesterday I replied enthusiastically to this tweet by the publisher:




and triggered a flurry of favs, retweets and feedback from Tachyon, collection editor Ellen Datlow and Joe Lansdale, author of The Bleeding Shadow, one of the finest Mythos tales I've read, excerpted below:

April 11, 2014











Which was really cool- like being at a convention and bumping into them in the hallway and having a little conversation, only none of us had to leave home.

Whatever Twitter's 'for', enabling little connections like is a major component.

No comments: