3.23.2013

cooking: sausage, mushroom & rice delight

I threw this together last night and wasn't all that impressed, but the gals both went nuts over it.
I can think of a few simple improvements to try next time, so here it is before I forget:

Skillet Sausage, Mushrooms & Rice

1tsb olive oil
1lb sausage, whatever sort you like, either casing removed & crumbled or sliced (I used a smoked andouille, the recipe called for mild italian)
3 cups sliced mushrooms (I picked up 3 cartons of fresh shitakes on markdown at Ralphs)
1 onion, chopped (or shallot)
3 small or 1 large clove garlic, minced
2 cups long grain brown rice
4 cups chicken stock

- sauté onions& sausage in olive oil for 8-10 minutes, until sausage is cooked & onions are translucent. Add minced garlic, sauté until fragrant, 20-30 seconds.  Stir in rice & stock, bring to boil then reduce heat and simmer covered until all liquid has been absorbed, 30-40 minutes.  Stir, taste for seasoning (I added about 3/4th tsp salt), serve.

Super simple, turned out pretty good.


The recipe I was working off called for converted white rice & I substituted brown, which took quite a bit longer.  I think next time I'll do it pilaf style, like the Test Kitchen recipe for Spanish Rice.  Also I'll cut back on the stock , it ended up a bit wet for me.





No comments: