10.18.2011

True Customer Tales: I Smell Trouble

Gal wanders in and halts, transfixed by the Science Fictional majesty on display in our front case.

After a bit she snaps out of it.

"So do you actually sell those first edition Science Fiction stuff?" Incredulously, like someone stepping through a time portal from 1972 into the bottled water aisle of the supermarket.

Last night we moved a 1st of Campbell's Who Goes There? (thanks, crappy remake of The Thing!) and this morning I sold The Opener of the Way, Robert Bloch's first book, to an ecstatic Arkham House collector.

"Yep." I answered.

"Wow!" Laughing in disbelief.  "Where are your, like, regular science fiction books?"

I ushered her to the section and left her to her own devices.

Later, she returned to the counter with an armful of finds which I happily rang up.
Before exiting, she paused again before the display.

"Wow this makes me glad I didn't throw away any of MY old Science Fiction first editions!  I have a bunch of books just like this!  Uh...do you guys buy books?"

"Yep.  Any day before four."

"Oh, good!  I'll be back."


I can hardly wait to see her interpretation of classic Science Fiction 1st Editions.  
I'm betting nothing older than 1979 and either missing DJs, not actual 1st editions, or offerings from the Science Fiction Book Club.

Any takers?

No comments: