7.11.2011

Restaurant review: Woodstocks Pizza

Well, less review than expression of disbelief.

I'm not a fan of their pizza- the crust isn't appreciably better than that bagged pizza dough you can get from Trader Joe's, they roll it out too thin and they load it with too much stuff. It's impossible to eat a slice without using two hands to brace the sad, flopping thing, or resorting to silverware (and violating unspoken pizza etiquette). Domino's and Round Table both make a better pizza, which is just embarrassing.

But they're close to work and even crummy pizza is okay, so.....
*shrug*

I order one of their lunch deals, a slice, salad & soda.

And the salad was, in a way, spectacular.
It looked decent on the surface- mixed lettuce, cucumber slices, chopped tomatoes, croutons, a sprinkle of mozzarella.

I dislike cucumbers, so I started picking them out...and entered the twilight zone.

I excavated slices until I had a pile on the table that, if reconstructed, would have formed a cucumber fit for stuffing the jeans of a vain rock star.

The lettuce also camouflaged a comical number of pre-sliced bag carrots, dried out and cracked around the edges like they get. Unappealing, so I pushed them aside as well.

When I was finished the sad little pile of lettuce, croutons and cheese that was remained I shoveled the cucumber slices back into the bowl with the carrot bits. Between them, they clogged a good 3/4ths of its volume.

Incroyable! as d'Artagnan might have exclaimed, confronted with such a prodigy.

Has lettuce become so dear, that using carrots and cucumbers as filler is cheaper?
Or was a wild eyed, half trained new employee flying solo at the salad bar, inflicting their whims on the dining populace?

Whatever the case, the next time I crave a mid-day salad they'll be way down at the bottom of my list.

No comments: