6.11.2011

All Problems are the Same

Browsing around this morning I came across this Bill Simmons article on the state of the NBA and two of his five points echoed my post on the travails of the modern theater.

2. The secondary ticket market lessened the need to buy season tickets; you can just cherry-pick 10 regular-season games online and skip the other 31.
3. We're slowly learning that fans would rather stay home, watch sports on their crystal-clear HD widescreen and surf the Internet over hauling their asses to a stadium, then pay for (overpriced) parking, (overpriced) mediocre food and drinks, and (overpriced) mediocre tickets.

2: people can pirate films.
3: exact correlation.

This relates to the book business too- internet + increasing digitization = fewer people willing to actually go to a bookstore. And not just bookstores or theaters, but most businesses. The book biz has a bit of an edge here, as (currently) we can sell some stuff through big players like Amazon to make up for some of the lost revenue. This isn't an option for most small businesses.

If there's a fix for this I don't see it, but I predict a lot of groaning and complaining from online shopping junkies when they venture downtown one day in the not too distant future and find nothing but chain stores, bars and clothing shops.

2 comments:

That Which is I said...

I still enjoy going out to the theater, partially because I have come to terms with the fact that if the theater is going to take advantage of me ($13 for a large popcorn & large coke) then I see no reason to not take advantage of it and selectively create my own double and triple features.

That Which is I said...

-Patric