5.10.2011

True Customer Tales: Scion of Smelly Santa

When a young dude loitering at the sale cart voluntarily engages Smelly Santa in a long discussion of the merits of various quarter books, I just know he's going to provide some blog fodder...as, indeed, he has!


He came up a bit ago with a cart book, a copy of Kosinski's Painted Bird & Swift's Gulliver's Travels.

guy: hey man, how much for these?
me: let's see. *key sale into register* They come out to $6.80.
guy: Huh. Hmmmmm. Well. *shuffles stack* Uh, could I get you to go down to $5 for these two? (holding up the Swift & Kosinski)
me: We won't have any trouble selling those for $3 each, sorry.
guy: I really liked Being There, but I'm not sure I'm ready for Painted Bird.
me: Mmmm.
guy: How about a buck off?
me (thinking a buck off is pretty much the same as $6 worth of books for $5): Nope, sorry.
guy: Hmmmmm. Huh. Well......
me: *standing impassively*
guy: ....do you guys take debit cards?
me: Yep!


The boss is a sucker for this kind of playacting.
Alas for this discount hungry lad I was minding the shop today.

No comments: