4.29.2011

More Fuss in the Kitchen

For a small child Fuss has an impressively broad palate, but he definitely has favorites.
One of them is mushrooms, so whenever I see them on sale I pick up a pound or so.

This morning while he was watching (by request) Lupin III: the Castle of Cagliostro I cleaned the kitchen, loaded the dishwasher and cleaned the mushrooms. He toddled in and wanted to help, so I had him pick out which mushrooms he wanted me to chop up next, then he moved the mushroom quarters from one side of the cutting board to the other. Once I finished chopping he transferred them to a mixing bowl, the better to help me 'dump' them.

He likes to stir things and he wanted to stir the mushrooms, but he was uncharacteristically choosy about which implement to use. Mostly he's happy to stir with whatever spatula or spoon I'm using, but this morning nothing would do except the giant plastic spaghetti server, an embarrassing specimen retrieved from a Dollar Store that has somehow avoided replacement.

I held him on my hip while he carefully scraped the browning mushrooms through a buttery dell of teflon with a toothed spaghetti server as long as his arm.

They turned out delicious, so who am I to judge his tools.

No comments: