6.15.2005

DVD Releases

There's a bunch of really top drawer stuff on the horizon, thought I'd share some linkage.

First up is the most exciting for me:
Errol Morris' first three movies are finally coming out on DVD.
They're getting seperate releases, but I'm opting for the three pack.

Vernon, Florida is possibly my favorite documentary of all time. Gates of Heaven is a close second, but more melancholy...not the sort of movie you can pop in anytime you feel like it. And Thin Blue Line is even more so....brilliant but harrowing (and fuck the Academy with a pineapple for witholding the Oscar it so richly deserved.)

You can chart the future trajectory of the director's career in these three films....except for the oddball Fast, Cheap and Out of Control (my choice in a hypothetical career game of "which of these things is not like the other") his work continued on a line, applying insight to ever more intractible injustices.

The unique Dr. Death remains his best film, objectively- it's the only time he's sucessfully combined the eye for the oddball story he showed in Vernon with his embrace of larger themes (in this case the Holocaust), but Vernon will always be my favorite, and I'm anticipating its release with childlike glee.

No comments: