6.21.2005

Customers: Another One

You're in trouble when the first thing a stranger says to you is
"are you the worm?"

I hate it when strangers speak to me in non sequiters.
Especially when they don't look crazy.

He was after a book by a Native American shaman and I thought I was in the clear once I guided him to the proper section.
Almost, but he turned back at the doorway and said

"Have you ever been in a custody battle?"

Sometimes you see the landmine in the road but there's just no room to swerve.

"Nope." as curtly as humanly possible.

"Well, let me tell ya,"

.....

"I'm a Bering Sea fisherman, and I've been working as a mason in this town for five years now. Anyway, my wife got herself a boyfriend, and would you believe he's over in court drunk right now. And he's her character witness. She's in charge of a hosptial. I haven't seen my daughter since April 20th....when my wife comes back from recess, the baliff is going to lock her up. What do you think of that?"

"Hmmmmm. Sounds messy."

"So tonight you know what I'm gonna be doing? Making dinner for my four year old!"

"Well. Congratulations."

"You bet! Hey, take care!"

"You too. Good luck."



At least he wasn't a mime.

No comments: