7.09.2011

google + vs. Facebook

As eagerly as I await the inevitable arrival of a legit Facebook Killer I can't get excited about Google +. I have two main beefs with FB: their endless, arbitrary and intrusive 'upgrades' that inevitably erode the usefulness of the platform for individuals, and their contempt for user privacy.

While Google's stewardship of properties like Blogger inspires confidence in their design ability, excuse me for questioning the commitment of the world's largest advertising firm to user privacy.

Details of the service are still thin on the ground, but photographers are already questioning the '+' terms of service.

“If I do share images on Google services – under the current terms of service – I will risk genuine harm to my ability to earn income from those images. As a professional, I don’t see the reward of using the Google services as being worth more than the risk.”


Social media screws up my usual approach to choosing online platforms- I like to find a smallish venue that delivers a great experience, but when the whole point of a place is that everyone is there that isn't an option.

But right now a switch to '+' seems like a lateral move at best.

No comments: