2.25.2007

Academy Awards

The awards themselves are crap.
I still hold a grudge against the Academy for tipping ET over Bladerunner for 'best special effects'.

Your film created a detailed and immersive future reality, one that remains relevant & believable 25 years later?

Well, this other one has a puppet with an accordion neck, and a kid rides a bike across the moon!!1

Suck on that, Ridley Scott.

But I do like the pomp & circumstance, I enjoy it when someone deserving sneaks in a win and it's fun to rant and complain when the inevitable travesties of justice occur (Helen Hunt beating out Judy Dench? Where's my fainting couch!), and of course it's a great excuse for a party.

I should have some pics up tomorrow.
I made a couple of dips, a classic spinach and a "spicy smokey avocado" featuring chipotle & cilantro.

My pal Zim, a Seattle expatriate this past decade, took exception.

"Anything with an avocado has to have 'California' in the name."

I aver those of us living in the Golden State get an exemption, just as I imagine New Englanders can serve clam chowder without explicitly stating the regional identity.

I guess a Manhattan in Manhattan remains the same, unless the locals have some kind of tribal hand-signal for ordering without speaking.

No comments: