11.26.2005

Film: Pride and Prejudice

I checked out the latest adaptation of Jane Austen's flagship novel with a gaggle of romance-starved married ladies (and one bitter spinster) as part of my sister-in-law's extended birthday celebration.

I was sceptical, having little confidence in the underfed, hopelessly contemporary and possibly spavined Kieara Knightly to carry a period piece. Fortunately, many strong acting hands eased her burden and I was only jarred once or twice by unexpected flashes of her exoskeletal collarbones or extreme close ups of her collagen-inflated lips.

First and most importantly, the casting director nailed Mr. Darcy.
I'm a fan of Colin Firth in the Masterpiece Theater miniseries, but always thought he was too hunky by half. Not a problem with Matthew MacFadyen, who's less marquee profile fits the part of brooding outsider better. There's room for him to grow, and he does. Other standouts are the always welcome Brenda Blethyn as Mrs. Bennett and Donald Sutherland, weilding his befuddled majesty like a rapier in the role of Mr. Bennett.

The director also injects more creativity than you might expect into this old warhorse, giving the early parts a rustic feeling of joy. And the cinematography is to die for- I knew I was in good hands from the opening credits, which was a great relief. As the sun rose over the frosty landscape I settled happily into my seat, confident I was going to enjoy the show.

Bax gives it two thumbs up. Even those allergic to costume period pieces should find enjoyment in this one.

No comments: