11.26.2005

The effect of P2P file-sharing depends on popularity

some harvard dude takes a look at filesharing

Blatantly obvious to anyone with more than a passing interest in p2p technology, but it's always nice to have a big brain to attach numbers to your field observations.

If I can't find my copy of Highway to Hell by AC/DC I can grab it off pretty much any large scale filesharing network in a couple of minutes. If, on the other hand, I can't find my copy of Nashville by Bill Frisell, I'm SOL and it's time to find the flashlight start looking under the furniture.

A large % of my lack of sympathy for the major media players with the advent of p2p is that they are being hit hardest with acts who don't really have any artistic merit (going by my highly personal and [in keeping with today's posting theme] prejudiced rating system). I could care less if Britney loses 30% of her corporate value- whatever is left is still enough to enrich her and her record company far beyond any reasonable measure.

No comments: