10.24.2005

Miyazaki festival on TCM

Coming in January.

My Neighbor Totoro & Kiki's Delivery Service are fabulous fun for all ages. Princes Mononoke & Spirited Away are fantastic, but they've both got a few violent &/or scary-ass scenes that would make me think twice about showing them to the younger set.

Nausicaa & Castle in the Sky are probably good for all ages too, but both have slipped in my personal rankings- Nausicaa is perhaps the only movie in history I liked better as a dubbed, cropped children's cartoon than as a restored widescreen treat for grownups. The kiddie edition was sprightlier, had better dialog and pacing and seemed like more of a fun adventure with an ecological undertone than the current version, which feels more like a Sierra Club morality play with some fun parts tacked on as an afterthought.

Porco Rosso I still haven't seen, oddly enough. I think it's a strange one that got re-edited for release here. And Whisper of the Heart has such an inauspicious title I will wave my ignorance of it like a battle flag and cheer myself on.

But Miyazaki is the one guy everyone should check out, even the die-hards who think Anime is only for geeks. So check out TCM in January, I guarantee something in that lineup that will appeal to you.

No comments: