4.12.2006

Eyes of Jack Kirby

boooWEEEEEEEEooooooh!

I hated Kirby when I was a young comic readin' fool...his stuff just looked like a bunch of squiggles to me. The only comic of his I bought off the rack was Devil Dinosaur, the tender story of a mutated red dinosaur and his trusty human sidekick Moon Boy streaking for acceptance in an uncaring world.

But all of his DC stuff was floating around cheap in the used market, so I trudged through his DC era, the good (New Gods, Miracleman) and the bad (Forever People, Kamandi, the last boy on earth) just for something to do. I liked his stories, but I couldn't stand his art...and in comics art is 9/10ths of the law.

Now I have an appreciation for his protean creativity (he basically invented modern comics, Stan Lee notwithstanding) and the massive impact on the industry.....but I still don't like his art.

No comments: