12.03.2005

Film: Harry Potter & the Goblet of Fire

short review:

Eh.

somewhat longer review:

Ehh.

The wife's review, repeated at intervals during the 3 hour run time:
"I have no idea what's going on."

I don't think Mike Newell was a good choice to helm this project. The best parts were the mundane bits (the winter ball, going to class, etc). He didn't seem to care about the magic, it had the workmanlike but uninspired feel of second unit work.

And I don't know if it was just the theater I saw it in, but a lot of the dialog was really hard to figure out. I'm a fan of Brit slang, so that wasn't it, and I can usually make sense of even the most hardened UK dialect given time (Mona Lisa, Trainspotting and Sexy Beast all fell to my adaptive ear). But a lot of the dialog in this one left me scratching my head.

No comments: